Thursday, April 14, 2016

"What would you do?"

     I think watching these episodes of "What would you do?" is an interesting insight into our societal and cultural norms. It shows us how people react to everyday situations. Our faith in humanity is either let down or restored after watching these.
     The episode with the male couple and the pregnant woman made me very angry. This person in the diner with them thought that she could just intrude on their business. No, that is not okay, and what was going on between the couple and the mother was none of her concern. She was trying to persuade the mom to not give her baby to a same-sex couple, just because of her personal opinion on homosexuality. If two people (or maybe even one person)-regardless of age, gender, relationship status, culture, or identity- are willing and able to take care of a baby, then who is to say no?? This lady was just sticking her nose in their lives and that is one of my pet peeves.
     If I were to get pregnant right now, I have full confidence that I couldn't give it the life it deserved and I would probably want to give it away. I don't have the financial capacity to provide for it. If a male couple or a woman couple were wanting to adopt it then I wouldn't have any problem with it. Some might call this being non-discriminatory, but I call it being humane.

1 comment: